Sunday, May 8, 2011

Family of four..


Kenzington's Birth Story
Thursday morning bright and early Brett and I headed to Mt. View Hospital. Dr. Bennett wanted us there by 5 am to get things started. I was so nervous I was shaking like crazy and the nurses kept asking if I was cold....nope just terrified. That soon passed when they started the IV of Pitocin and we were left to just wait. I was not progressing very fast but my contractions were getting stronger and by 9 am I asked for my epidural. I think I was about a 4 at that time. Getting my epidural was awful this time. The anesthesiologist had a hard time getting the epidural in and in the end it ended up only really working on my right side. I hated the extreme numbness on my right side so I never pushed the button for more medicine until it started to wear off. At noon Dr. Bennett came and broke my water. Then things went very fast. I was being checked every hour and at 2 I was a 7. My nurse said she would be in to check again at 3 but I called her in a little before 3 because I could tell I was ready to push. Sure enough I was just about a 10. She pushed with me once and then called Dr. Bennett. Dr. Bennett came running in and didn't even have time to change because I was feeling the contractions and wanting to push. Three contractions later Kenzi was here! It was really neat and a great experience. Brett and I were so surprised she was so big! She cried really good and was just the cutest thing we had ever seen!

She was born Thursday afternoon and I was asking to go home that night:) I am not a fan of hospitals. So we left the next day at 4 pm. Everything has been going pretty good. I felt great after delivery and very fortunate it went well.....until Saturday morning. I woke up in the night with Kenzi with an awful headache. I didn't really think much of it, but then it got worse and worse. Sunday morning I could barely function standing. Monday we had Kenzi's check up and I mentioned my headache to Dr. Bennett. We both knew it was because of my epidural. Because of the trouble getting it in the anesthesiologist had caused a leak of spinal fluid through a small nick with the needle. Dr. Bennett had us go straight to Mt. View for a "blood patch." When we got there it was the other anesthesiologist and he did the blood patch right away. It was crazy they took blood from my arm, did another epidural puncture through the same hole and injected the blood in to help force the leaking fluid back to my brain so my headache would be gone. It hurt so bad to have that done, but it has helped the headache. I am not so sure about epidurals anymore.....I say now I will not have one with my next....but ask me when I am in labor at a 6 or 7:) Anyway life is good. Kenzi weighed 7 lb 12 oz yesterday at her 4 day check. Here are a few pics of delivery, visitors and one proud big brother.



8 lb 3oz !!















Headed home!






5 comments:

Taunya Spaulding said...

so sorry about the epidural story, but glad to hear everything went ok. she is just so cute!! call if you need anything!

Kevin and Tiffany Hanson said...

SO cute...makes me want to come visit right now! I am glad you are both doing well. I am sorry about the problems...ugh. I will be thinking long and hard about the whole epidural thing now...seriously!!! Good Luck and keep us posted. We will see you as soon as we possibly can. We'll be praying that my sister has her little one before Kenzi's baby blessing so we can come up then...if not sooner! Love you guys!

Kevin and Tiffany Hanson said...

Hey...i sent a website to Brett's email for you to check out...ask him. I didn't have your email! It has some SUPER cute baby girls clothes on it...and often for SUPER cheap!! Enjoy!

Tim and Amber said...

oh, I'm so sorry about the epidural, but glad everything worked out. She is so cute just like her mama :)

Carlson Clan said...

She is so, so pretty Cherice! I'm so sorry you had to endure the spinal headache. Those are no fun at ALL! And I'm equally sorry that your epidurals seem to not really work out for you! You are such a strong person. I would've complained a whole lot more if it was me. =)